Saturday, July 31, 2010

Any advice for an American girl moving to Delhi?

Hi...I'm going to move to New Delhi next year in March. My fiance is there. I just wanted some advice about settling in and hopefully I can find a part-time job. I don't need much... I really want to learn more Hindi...I can read and write and understand somewhat...I know I stood out when I was there before (blonde girl here)...I want to fit in though - any advice? I love India...smile. Not sure how Americans are seen in India - but I'm not typical American girl...I love family and I don't care much about money...anyway - anything helpful you can tell me would be great. Just want to know more about life in Delhi and maybe advice on finding a part-time job (I was a teacher for 13 years and I'm a counselor now...I can do office work, though, too). Also - any information about immigration would be great! How can I stay in India long-term? If I have a job is that good enough? :)Any advice for an American girl moving to Delhi?
Migrating is a big decision to make, there is a lot of consideration that you need to consider, review and double check. There are a lot of U.S. companies that have business operations in India, you want to check the web for these companies - most are information and communication technology companies like Cisco, IBM, and Microsoft, and you may want to start applying for a job. Learning Hindi is a good way of making yourself comfortable with the environment, but you need not push yourself learning it in a zip. People of India, especially in the urban areas, are accustomed to speaking in English. You will learn Hindi along the way.





India's weather, especially the southern part, is humid and warm, a lot of adjustment will be expected in terms of temperature, frequency of rain and thunderstorm. Traffic and road rules are not the sames as in U.S., you will get used to crossing the street without traffic lights and signs, congested roads and smog from moving vehicles.





You may want to check the U.S. Embassy in India (New Delhi) for more enlightening information.





Do not be discouraged, there are a lot of good things you will experience in India. Love conquers all, being close to your fiance' whenever and wherever is the best thing that will happen to you.





Enjoy and god luck.Any advice for an American girl moving to Delhi?
how old are u? n leme know if u still need help ok?

Report Abuse



how old are u? n leme know if u still need help ok?

Report Abuse



Your fiancee will tell / teach you all. Have faith in him.
I AM INDIAN BOY. I AM STUDENT FOR DEGREE COLLEGE.
a simple advice cheap clotes are not aloud here so please choose some good clothes and one more snce u are comming to india when u come the best thing is to eat chats u certainly will love it!
Delhi, as you know is a metro with high crime rates. Be careful of whatever you do in public. Never go alone. move with crowd.


Delhi has got lot to enjoy. enjoy them in company. all the best.
Hello- I don't know anything about foreign travel but I have been to every state of the United States.


I realize a very different venture but safety practices are still the same.


Try to align yourself with public organizations that will give you an active presence in India. Make sure you have some kind of tracing line back to you for safety reasons!


Have a great time!!! I think it's wonderful and an exciting adventure!!!! Lucky you!!


I suggest you keep a journal-written and electronic.


Always keep a cell phone with you and if there is an American embassy or some kind of American organization stay associated with them.


Be well!! Take care!


If you keep a daily journal maybe this could become a book someday for you!


Again---Have a great time!
Namaste and Welcome!





As somebody suggested - don't go out alone, especially after dark. Beware of the pickpockets and taxi and auto-rickshaw drivers. People are nice in general but India is diverse and may be overwhelming initially. India has one of the oldest tradition of extremely rich culture. Being in India may feel like being on a different planet. You'll find all kind of people in Delhi. Avoid fishy people and enjoy the company of good ones. The official website of the Bureau of Immigration may provide more information: http://immigrationindia.nic.in/





Pimsuler Language Programs Series has good Hindi programs that can help you converse in standard Hindi.








Good Luck!
i suggest that u must be careful all the time n just have fun....u will understand in few days
Apply for a work visa, be careful of lusty men, watch your money and have fun. People there act nicer to fair people so you will be alright! Just don't give up your citizenship to become Indian. Also watch out for bad water, food and mosquitoes which cause malaria.
New Delhi is simply cool!!!! It has a lot to offer.


You can also work in a call center as an accent trainer. The pay package is wonderful. But I guess you would need a work permit, which is quite easy to get (unlike the US of A). To stay in India for a long term, you need to be a citizen (the short-cut is to get married to an Indian guy ;-)......


Come to India %26amp; Explore our rich heritage......and one last thing...the facilities that we have in India is at par with the rest of the world....so CHEERS!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment