Saturday, July 31, 2010

Any advice for an American Girl dating a Vietnamese Boy?

We were both born and raised in America. We're both greeks in college, which is where we met. I'm a art History Major, he's in Business Admin. Both products of private school. Both a little strong, characterwise. He has met my parents, somewhat affluent from the baby boomer generation: uptight and conservative from the east coast, but were surprisingly receptive to my sweetheart of a boyfriend. They weren't open to him at first, but now, they like him more than my ex, and pretty much residual suitors buzzing around, (all of whom tower over my 5'6'; boyfriend, by a good half foot or so.lol)


All my sorority sisters think that he's a great catch. And even if the top of his head is eyelevel to me, he has a tall character. He makes me so happy, and safe, and feel so special, and there's really nothing that I want more than to do the same for him.


So with all that said, His parents are flying in from Seattle in 3 days, and I want to make a good impression. We've been together for almost 2 years now, and my parents see him weekly... but I've never met his parents. I don't want to do or say something demeaning or ignorant, or disrespectful. From what I've heard here and there, English is not their first language, but his father is an Ivy league grad. His mom is a homemaker who took care of her son and daughter. I don't know how traditional they are, but I do know that his dad really wants him to marry a Vietnamese girl. I don't think we're thinking about the marriage route just yet (though I wouldn't mind one bit, except we still have to graduate) but I at least want to know what to do and what not to do when I finally meet the parents of the man I love. My roommate's Chinese, and she says that in her culture, they don't hug, but they bow instead. I wasn't raised like that at all. I was raised with hugs as a salutation.


I know I might sound a little ignorant, or stupid, but do I refrain from hugging? Should I at least learn how to say ';please'; and ';thank you';? I'm really stressing over this. Help please?Any advice for an American Girl dating a Vietnamese Boy?
This is a crazy thought but try talking to your boyfriend. He knows them the best and what is accepted in his houselhold. And his parents expectations.


Any advice for an American Girl dating a Vietnamese Boy?
I'm Vietnamese and yes, most traditional Viet parents would rather their children marry someone Viet also. My parents aren't like most traditional Vietnamese at all, however when I was little and I visited my relatives, they'd make me put my arms together (I can't really describe it lol) and bow. I don't know if Vietnamese people these days still do that, but you could ask your boyfriend. Just use common courtesy (please, thank you, yes ma'am/sir) and you should be fine. =)


PS: Don't stress over it or try too hard to impress them!
well im an australian girl and my hubby is vietnamese, like wise with his parenrs they wanted him 2 have a viet girl, but once they met me and seen i loved him, lets jst say they r happy he married me. we still do have quiet diff cultural diversities but learn 2 adapt... goodluck , love light n peace 2u xxx
i think when you meet them you should say ';chao bac'; or something like that, or use chao chu and chao cho for younger elders.in vietnamese it is very respectful when you greet someones parents that way. plus theyll probably like it that you took your time to learn something vietnamese.

No comments:

Post a Comment